Monday, December 16, 2013

Pomegranate and Orange Sangria

"It's that time of year...when the world falls in love. Every sound you hear seems to say...Merry Christmas! May your New Year dreams come true!" 
 
There's something about this sangria that makes me think of happy Christmas songs. Maybe it's because this sangria is so pretty and festive. Maybe it's because I made it for a Christmas party. Maybe it's because it's tastes wonderful and has alcohol in it. So many possibilities as to why...

Well, I guess it IS that time of year, isn't it? I mean, I'm not falling in love with a person, but I am falling in love with the Christmas spirit!
 
I got my Christmas tree this past weekend.
Tada! I named it Treevor, the Christmas tree. (And no, it's not small. I happen to be very tall.)
 
I also made Christmas cards this past weekend. People liked my handmade Christmas cards from last year, so I made some more this year (with different designs, of course!)
 
I also sang a lot of Christmas music yesterday with orchestra. Oh, and it snowed all day on Saturday.
 
I guess all these things are contributing to my Chritmas-y feeling. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...at least in my neck of the woods it is!
 
Are you getting ready for the 25th? If you're looking for a festive cocktail, this sangria is one of the best sangrias I've had. The addition of orange juice and pomegranate juice creates a subtly sweeter drink but the brandy, wine, and cinnamon stick equalize the sweetness so one is left with a smooth, tasty drink with a kick of spice.
Pomegranate and Orange Sangria (found at Completely Delicious)
1 bottle (750 ml) of red wine, like a Cabernet Sauvignon
1 cup (237 ml) brandy
1 cup (237 ml) pomegranate juice
1 cup (237 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
1 orange, thinly sliced
1 pomegranate, arils removed
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cinnamon stick
 
In a large pitcher, stir together the wine, brandy, pomegranate juice, and orange juice. Add orange slices, pomegranate arils, cranberries and cinnamon stick. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Serve with ice cubes. (Erika's Extra: I didn't serve with ice cubes since it was still nice and cold from the fridge.)
Bake well and prosper!

2 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB