Monday, October 14, 2013

Pumpkin Donuts

I must be making up for the lack of pumpkin posts on my blog. This is my 2nd pumpkin recipe post on my blog within a month! Aren't y'all lucky!
 
But let's get down to business...these donuts were THE BOMB! What? You don't use the phrase "the bomb" when you are doing business? Hmmm...ok... These donuts were incredibly pleasing. No...that's not the right way to describe them either. Look, if you make them your taste buds will bow down to you in thanks. There. That's about right.
 
I had read all of the comments on this recipe in preparation before I started making the dough. Everyone said that the dough was ridiculously sticky, therefore I was prepared for a mess. So prepared that I used gloves! 
Isnt' that a lovely mess?
 
I conquered that lovely mess and managed to cut out donut shapes.
The dough was sticky but I wasn't scared. I had my eye on the prize.
Frying donuts. It's the best thing to do to donuts (besides eating them).
 
If you want some easy to make (not yeast!), "fall is in the air" spiced-sugar donuts, you should definitely try this recipe.
Pumpkin Donuts (recipe found on Epicurious)
Ingredients for the Donuts
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (Erika's Extras: you'll need more while rolling out the dough)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
Canola oil (for deep-frying) (Erika's Extras: I used vegetable oil)
 
Ingredients for the Powdered Sugar Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
Whipping cream (Erika's Extras: I used half & half)
 
Ingredients for the Spiced Sugar
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
 

Instructions for donuts
Whisk first 8 ingredients (everything up to the sugar) in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until blended (mixture will be grainy). Beat in egg, then yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat in buttermilk; beat in pumpkin in 4 additions. Using a rubber spatula, fold in dry ingredients in 4 additions, blending gently after each addition. Cover with plastic; chill 3 hours. (Erika's Extras: I put mine in the freezer for ~15 minutes. This worked fine)          
Press out 1/3 of dough on floured surface to 1/2- to 2/3-inch thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch-diameter round cutter, cut out dough rounds. Arrange on sheets. Repeat with remaining dough in 2 more batches. Gather dough scraps. Press out dough and cut out more dough rounds until all dough is used.
Using 1-inch-diameter round cutter, cut out center of each dough round to make doughnuts and doughnut holes. (Erika's Extras: I made about 3 dough rounds and donut holes at a time and then repeated the process.)          
Line 2 baking sheets with several layers of paper towels. Pour oil into large deep skillet to depth of 1 1/2 inches. Attach deep-fry thermometer and heat oil to 365°F to 370°F. Fry doughnut holes in 2 batches until golden brown, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Fry doughnuts, 3 or 4 at a time, until golden brown, adjusting heat to maintain temperature, about 1 minute per side. Using slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to paper towels to drain. Cool completely. (Erika's Extras: Really keep your eye on the temperature of the oil. It drops quickly when you put in a lot of the dough.)          
 
Instructions for powdered sugar glaze
Whisk powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons whipping cream to blend. Whisk in additional cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, to form medium thick glaze. Can be made up to 3 hours ahead. Add donut holes to bowl of spiced sugar and toss to coat. Dip donuts on 1 side in the Powdered Sugar Glaze. Arrange doughnuts, glazed side up, on racks or plates.           

Ingredients for spiced sugar
Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Dip plain donuts or glazed donuts in the sugar.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pumpkin-Doughnuts-with-Powdered-Sugar-Glaze-and-Spiced-Sugar-Doughnut-Holes-230926#ixzz2hjLfMk8W
 
Bake well and prosper!

6 comments:

  1. those look yummy! my husband loves anything made with pumpkin, so will to try them. can you give me the recipe for the cookies pictured on your website at the top of the site??? they look wonderful.. thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Your husband would love these then! Here's the recipe for the cookies at the top of my blog: http://lifestooshorttoskipdessert.blogspot.com/2010/03/ask-and-you-shall-receive.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erika,

    I'm always your faithful fan of your wonderful "mess" - LOL! Nice to know that your messy donuts taste good :D

    I don't really like use gloves to cook... I like to feel the stickiness of dough with my bare hands :p

    HURRAY that I survived my run. Despite that I'm a year older than my first run and I'm older than 35, I managed to beat my previous timing by 8 mins!!! I'm happy with the result. I'm not sure if I will be running again next year but definitely doing it again when my running friend living in Germany comes back to Australia. We made a promise that we are going to run a marathon together :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of anything more delicious than freshly fried donuts! How wonderful that you actually made these from scratch. I'd be too intimidated by this, but not to intimidated to eat them... invite me over ;)
    *kisses* H

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful mess ;) Haha I like how you had your eyes on the prize - and it was well worth the mess!!! Havent seen a recipe without yeast before...this looks so delicious :)

    Oh and very belated happy BDAY to your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB