Monday, April 29, 2013

Homemade Oreos

I've always wondered what homemade versions of processed cookies would taste like. You know...homemade versions of Samoas, Thin Mints, Graham Crackers, Oreos.
 
Now I know since this weekend I made homemade oreos. My taste-testers (fellow singers) said that they tasted like sophisticated oreos. Maybe that's because I used organic and fair trade dark chocolate chips?
Whatever it was, one thing was the same: they went really well with milk!
 
And guess what! Mixing the dough created a mess. Yay! 
Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the cookie part of this recipe. They DID seem to resemble the texture of an Oreo, but I guess I would have preferred a more fudgey cookie.
 
I loved the creamy middle though. Maybe I'll make a whoopie pie with the ingredients from the middle. Mmmm...fudgey cookie whoopie pies...
Homemade Oreos (adapted from Bakerella)
Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and slightly cooled
        (Erika's Extras: I used organic, fair trade, dark chocolate chips)
1 egg
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
        (Erika's Extras: I used Ghiradelli cocoa)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Filling
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
Pinch of kosher salt
Food color, optional
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until well combined. Whisk in the vanilla and chocolate. Whisk in the egg until combined.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, salt and soda until combined. Stir flour mixture into the chocolate mixture. Mixing dough with your hands helps solidify it faster. Let the dough sit for 30 minutes to an hour to firm up.
  • Transfer the dough to a sheet of wax paper. Shape into a log about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place log along the edge of wax paper and roll. Shape as you roll to maintain a smooth cylinder. (Erika Extras: I found that rolling back and forth quickly in little segments was the most effective.) Refrigerate at least two hours or until firm. (Erika's Extras: I froze mine for 45 minutes since I was in a little bit of a rush. This worked fine.) If log settles and flattens on one side, rotate every 15 minutes or so to maintain a round shape.
  • Heat oven to 325 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Cut dough in quarter inch thick slices and place on prepared baking sheet. (Erika's Extras: My cookies baked better without parchment paper.) Bake for about 20 minutes or until cookies are firm to the touch.
  • While cookies are cooling, prepare the filling. In a mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add milk and salt and continue beating until smooth again. Place about a tablespoon of filling on the bottom of one cookie and sandwich with a second.
Bake well and prosper!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB