Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Healthy Alternative Blueberry Muffins

I was so happy to receive an invitation a couple of weeks ago to sample some of Oh! Nuts products. I decided to get golden raisins, raw almonds, and dried blueberries. I chose to use the dried blueberries first and found a lovely blueberry muffin recipe.
*Side note: I couldn't stop eating these dried blueberries! They were so delicious and flavorful. Check out more products here: Oh! Nuts

On allrecipes.com I found a healthy version to the normal blueberry muffins. I have to say that I really enjoyed the combination of blueberries and whole wheat.

PS CBS has a new pilot show, "Rookies", that has been filming outside my apartment. It stars Leelee Sobieski. I would take pictures but it's getting a little redundant. First the Bollywood movie, then the Megan Fox movie. I might as well change my blog's surtitle to "Making it work in Hollywood²."
Applesauce Blueberry Wheat Muffins (from allrecipes.com)
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dried blueberries

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a muffin pan, or use paper liners.
2.In a large bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in applesauce, milk, and oil. Stir until moistened. Fold in dried blueberries. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
3.Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Erika's Extras: Add white sugar to the tops of the muffins to make a little less healthy. :)
Bake well and prosper!

10 comments:

  1. Recently I started eating dried fruit more, I'm having problems with anemia :( and dried figs, apricots, and raisins are really good for that sort of thing... and yes, these muffins may help me too ... you could say its for medicinal purposes LOL.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh these look so good and a bonus that they're healthyer.
    And in response to your comment on my blog I mean I can't drive at all I drove 3 meteres in the car once and stalled changing gear. Im terrified of going on the road so boyfriend drives me everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like such a healthy and delicious treat! my kinda thing!
    ive recently made apple sauce (to use in muffins/cake like these) but 'accidently' ate them all by the spoonfuls ><
    ohh must be fun star spotting! you must live in the cool area hah ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped reading after “Healthy Alternative”.

    Also – FedEx must have lost the box of cookies you sent me.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erika, it has been a honor for me to be a follower of your blog and I would love to present several awards to you for your great humor and your fantastic cooking skills.

    The awards are at this link, http://bakeforhappykids.blogspot.com/2011/03/brown-sugar-mini-muffins-and-awards.html

    Cheers.

    PS. Love your idea of using applesauce for muffin. I'm always a fan of "healthy" cakes or muffins. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore OhNuts! They offered me to sample their products a few months ago and I was so happy with the quality of their products that I have ordered several times from them since.
    Those dried blueberries look amazing and I could think of so many things to use them for.
    Your muffins are perfect, I love the applesauce in them. They would be great to make for busy weekdays when you need something to grab and go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. dewa poker

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB