Saturday, January 23, 2010

National Pie Day

I woke up today and read on some one's twitter post that it is national pie day today. No kidding. http://www.piecouncil.org/ So, I decided I would make a pie....my first one to make EVER. Well, I like chocolate, so I went from there and found this piece de resistance: Double-Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie. And from the first step I knew that it would be a great recipe. Why? Because I was already making a mess. In fact, I made a LOT of mess. Oh, and the second step? Yep. Mess.
I had to use my old dilapidated mixer for the heavy cream and the mixer only has one speed. SUPER FAST.
So, sometimes I have to put my hand over the bowl to make sure things don't spray everywhere. Well, it REALLY got me this time and I was NOT a happy camper. This is me being angry at my silly mixer. (Anyone care to donate a kitchen aid mixer to me?)
I even discovered I made a mess that I didn't see happen.
Chocolate on the floor?! That's not where that belongs. It belongs in my mouth!

Double-Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie (from http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/double-chocolate-peanut-butter-pie)
Ingredients
CHOCOLATE CRUST INGREDIENTS
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
8 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (from a 9-ounce package), finely ground (2 cups)
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING INGREDIENTS
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (1 cup)
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup well-chilled heavy cream
3/4 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped
Kosher salt
CHOCOLATE TOPPING INGREDIENTS
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE CRUST: Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium glass bowl, combine the chocolate and butter and microwave at high power in 20-second intervals until the chocolate is melted. Stir well, then stir in the cookie crumbs. Press the cookie crumbs over the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and 1 1/2 inches up the side. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, or until set; the crust will continue to firm up as it cools.

MEANWHILE, MAKE THE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING: In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with the peanut butter, sugar and vanilla extract until blended. In another large bowl, using the same beaters, whip the chilled cream until firm. Fold one-third of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture to loosen it, then fold in the remaining whipped cream and 1/2 cup of the chopped peanuts. Spoon the filling into the crust, smoothing the surface. Sprinkle lightly with salt and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.

MAKE THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING: In a medium glass bowl, combine the chocolate with the heavy cream and microwave at high power in 20-second intervals until the chocolate is melted and the cream is hot. Stir the chocolate topping until blended, then let cool to barely warm, stirring occasionally.

Spread the chocolate topping over the peanut butter filling and refrigerate until just firm, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts around the edge of the pie. Carefully run a thin knife around the pie crust to loosen it, then remove the springform ring. Using a sharp knife, cut the pie into wedges. Run the knife under hot water and dry it between each cut.

Make Ahead
The pie can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Garnish with the chopped peanuts before serving. Serve the pie chilled or slightly cooler than room temperature.
(Erika's Extras: Warning: This pie is SUPER peanut-buttery the first day! Best to wait a day until serving. Also, I found that every step produced a little more crust/filling/topping than needed. Solution: take the extra chocolate wafers and dip in filling/topping and enjoy!!!!) :)


Bake well and prosper!

4 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB