Monday, October 26, 2009

Going Bananas

Ok kids! There is one more week to go until I do the incredibly crazy thing of running a marathon. NYC marathon to be precise. Two weeks ago I had to take a break from running due to a minor injury. After staying true to a marathon running plan for nearly four months, taking a break was making me go bananas. I had to fill the void of running with drinking, eating, and partying. I know......life is hard.

I am back on track and will be fine for the big 26.2 (with my right ankle wrapped in medical tape, that is.)

So, in honor of going bananas, this entry will salute banana bread. And I asked my furry friend, Sparkus the Tenor Cat, to help. (Because what's more proof of going bananas then pretending a stuffed animal is helping me bake? My thoughts precisely!)
Banana Bread
3 bananas (1 C mashed bananas)
1 C sugar
1/2 C shortening
2 eggs
2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 t soda
3 T milk

Mash bananas; mix in 1/2 C sugar. Let stand 15 minutes. Cream shortening; add remaining 1/2 C sugar. Mix well. Beat in eggs. Add banana mixture. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add about 1/2 of flour mixture. Then stir in milk and soda, which have been mixed together. Then stir in remaining flour. Bake in 1 large or 2 small loaf pans at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes (depending on pans.) (Pretty much....if you stick a sharp knife in the middle and it comes out with batter on it, keep cooking. Banana bread will trick ya! It will look done on the outside WAY before it is done on the inside. Have patience.)

Erika's Extra Notes: I enjoy adding chocolate chips, nuts, or frozen blueberries into banana bread to give it more of a zing/flavor. I also like to add brown sugar on top with about 15 minutes left to bake (as seen below in picture. Right half normal banana bread, left half with chocolate chips because sometimes you feel like a chip, and sometimes you don't.)
Bake well and prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB